natasha

books 'n shit

i'm a girl who likes boys who like boys. sup.

Exquisite Corpse
Poppy Z. Brite
Catch a Ghost
S.E. Jakes
Blind Obsession - Ella Frank THIS BOOK IS A CRAZY MIND-FUCKER
Spoilers and shit below. Lots of 'em.

I finished reading this book on vacation a few weeks ago... I want to say that Ella Frank is a brilliant, engaging writer, who literally pulled me into this book and physically forced me to live these experiences. Sometimes you can tell when a writer has dumped heart, soul, tears, mountains of research and tons of thought into a book, and this is one of those books.
Have you read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier? You might want to read this book... before/after/wheneveryoupossiblycan because it's very similar to this book. I read it a few months ago and was completely floored and amazed, but Blind Obsession feels like a contemporary twist on that story. Either way, I'd suggest reading both books.

THE LAYERS AND LAYERS OF INTRIGUE AND MYSTERY!
image
This book is so incredibly deep, and whenever I think somethings going to happen, something else happens. It's sexy, mysterious, extremely dark, and kind of really fucked up. I can't even begin to describe the itchy feeling beneath my skin that this book made me feel.

CHARACTERS
Gemma: The ONLY reason that this book wasn't a 5/5 for me is because of Gemma. I quite disliked her, and disliking the main character and still giving a book a 4/5 rating is pretty damn good. I thought she was boring, odd, and lacked the personality that Phillipe and Chantal had and deserved. I didn't catch her liking anything on her own, I suppose besides writing, but she barely even expressed that. It's like she wanted to latch on to every string of Phillipe and Chantal and copy them. She developed interests in all the things they had... just because? Didn't care for her at all.

Phillipe: Holy fucked up, sexy, fucked up, fucking weird, fucking great lead male. Holy crap. I don't usually like "overbearing" or "dark, mysterious" men in my contemporary "romance" books, because it seems too predictable. This was NOT the situation at all. The author leads us to believe he was an artistic, expressive man in love before Chantal, and after her, he became something much worse and much darker. The hole Chantal left in his life was filled with self-loathing, hate, anger, and sadness.

Chantal: What a beautiful character. The parts of the book my heart ached the most were when Chantal and Phillipe were together. I knew what was going to become of her (sort of) and the fact that their love was so beautiful but torn away, just felt so tragic every time I read about them. She was such an interesting character, and so very human. She has so many traits to her that really helped me feel like I knew her.

THE ROMANCE
The romance between the three. Odd, unexpected, strange.. just plain old fucking creepy sometimes, and completely and utterly addicting. I don't understand Gemma's sexual obsession with Chantal, personality, but it made the story what it is. It wasn't a story about a new woman trying to help a man she fell in love with to overcome his love for his dead ex-lover.. it was a story about her falling in love with the memory of his ex-lover AND him... together. Fucked up, right? BUT SO AWESOME!

THE ENDING
The ending was by far the best part. It didn't end how I expected it to end... I hate happy, flowery, la-de-da endings to tragic books.. especially ones as dark as this book, and it did NOT disappoint. Thinking back on the ending now, I still get goosebumps. It ended the exact way I wanted it to... looking at the situation in the book as an experience to shape the people differently, but not "fix" them.
THE BEST PART.. in my opinion, was the ending. Here's what I took from it: By Phillipe not being able to say he loved Gemma, by showing her, and by her leaving him there at the chateau with Chantal's memory, I've decided they love each other, but they each love Chantal more. Deep, right? Would they have fallen in love without the ghost of Chantal between them? I don't believe so.
When finishing this book the letter that Phillipe left for Gemma:

For the lady we never let go of.
Blind Obsession
You are both mine

I believe I physically gasped, because this book wasn't at all what I expected it to be. A book called Blind Obsession, then you start reading about Phillipe's "obsession" with Chantal, and you figure that's why the book is titled what it is. BUT HERE'S ANOTHER IDEA! It's titled Blind Obsession because you learn that it wasn't about Phillipe's obsession with Chantal, not really, it was about Chantal and Gemma's obsession with Phillipe. Maybe it's in reference to Chantal being actually blind, and Gemma being blinded by the idea of Chantal.. or even by the idea of Phillipe.. and not seeing him for the truly fucked up man he is. Or, was it actually in reference to Gemma AND Chantal being Phillipe's "blind obsessions"?? WHO KNOWS??
DEEP, RIGHT? IT BLEW UP MY MIND!!

All in all, AMAZING read. Wasn't at all what I expected, and I would definitely recommend this book to my close friends.